Saturday, June 7, 2008

My High Schools Sweetheart

The year was 2000. It’s all began with the day when my college decided to boost the English O-Level result to a new height. Students were sorted according to their own capabilities into four sets for each corresponding class blocks. My batch had 16 classes altogether and was separated into 4 blocks. Each class of the same block had similar timetable thus made it possible for streamlining English lesson.

I was selected to be in the 2nd Set together with 26 other students under supervision of Ms Dura. It was during the ice breaking in this group that I had noticed her for the first times. She gracefully stood up and spoke forcefully introducing herself to the class. I learned that she came from the southern state of Malaysia. She had the nicest smiles I’d ever seen along with a deep dimple on her cheek. Above all I couldn’t help noticing how good she looks in red.

One day, My English teacher, Ms Dura, decided that our class ought to write some sort of poetry. It would help us understood the impact of abundant adjectives in our essay. Students were to choose either haiku, limericks, rhymes or poem. I remember her limericks that day. It was ironic since I couldn’t even remember mine. She used Backstreetboys lyrics’ ‘larger than life’ for the first lines of her limericks.

Although we were in the same English Set, I could only watch her from a far. Much of it due to our seat place in the class, where she sat at the back while I was seating at the front. I could only get know her better when she volunteered to join my group for my Thesis project. Why? I didn’t know till this day.

The end was near as we cramped up our heads pushing towards O-Level. Being a dork I am, I just sometimes left messages wishing her good luck on her desk. I never got a reply from her.

Last time I saw her in the school was the day our batch came back for our O-Level result. We both had done quite well. With our good results we had secure Scholarships from Public Service Department for continuing our education overseas. She decided to go to the USA studying Chemical Engineering while I chose Mechatronics Engineering in Karlsruhe, Germany.

My name is Jessarif Jizat. This is my story and she is my high school sweetheart.

No comments: